- full term
- GBS test last thursday (the swab hurt my bumhole :/ that's an EXIT, not an entrance)
- internal exam indicates baby was DEFINITELY head down... bumped Dr's fingers through my cervix with its head
- baby is not in my pelvis yet (hasn't dropped) -3/-4 station
- cervix closed, high, and thick (0 dilation, 0% effaced) super awkward how difficult it was for the Dr to reach my cervix
- internal exam itself wasn't super awkward... for the pap smear he had to get his face right up in my lady bits... for this one, I didn't even have to scoot down the table, it was all by feel (since there's no way he can SEE up there to check dilation lol)
- my Dr is heading on vacay Sept 20th to Sept 30th. I'm hoping baby comes before the 20th or after the 30th. I'd really like him to deliver baby for me but honestly, I don't think it will make too much difference having a different Dr up in my bits.
- kinda debating if I want to see baby come out with a mirror or not... I don't really want hubby to see that though :/ I can't imagine how gross it might look
- I've given a lot of thought to nursing. I'm going to be a nursing mom who DOES NOT use a cover or leave the room. I'll do it discreetly and maybe use a cover or leave the room until baby and I get it down pat without flashing people. Nursing is not dirty and by hiding it, I think we're giving all those people who think it's gross and wrong, fuel for their fire against the non outspoken moms. If I'm at YOUR house and you are uncomfy with me nursing I'll go to a different room but I won't be carrying a cover to just cover up.
How your baby's growing:
Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier.)
Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.
How your life's changing:
Braxton Hicks contractions may be coming more frequently now and may last longer and be more uncomfortable. Still don't think I've had many of those, if at all. You might also notice an increase in vaginal discharge. Yup, it's irritating :/ If you see some "bloody show" (mucus tinged with a tiny amount of blood) in the toilet or in your undies, labor is probably a few days away — or less. Nope, nothing yet. (If you have heavier spotting or bleeding, call your caregiver immediately.)
Also be sure to ask your caregiver about the results of your Group B strep culture. Should get them on thursday :) That way, if the result isn't yet on your chart when you get to the hospital or birth center, you'll be able to give the staff there a timely heads-up if you need antibiotics.
It may be harder than ever to get comfortable enough to sleep well at night. I've been falling asleep on the couch every night... 2-4 hours total. Once I wake up on the couch, I often go to the bed since I'm usually half asleep at that point. If you can, take it easy through the day — this may be your last chance to do so for quite a while. Keep monitoring your baby's movements, too, and let your caregiver know immediately if you notice a decrease. Though her quarters are getting cozy, she should still be as active as before. Oh boy, definitely... baby likes to hang out in my side which hurts!
While you're sleeping, you're likely to have some intense dreams. Anxiety both about labor and about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange flights of unconscious fancy.